« Not Bad for 9th Grade Shop... | Main | He Makes Me Laugh »
Tuesday
Jul212009

PushUp Challenge Check-In

We had a crew sign up for the 100 pushup challenge discussed in last week's post here. Just wanted to check in and see what sort of progress everyone is making?

The pulled muscle in my back on Thursday set me back a bit. I'm restarting the challenge today at Week 3. I will say this... when I did the pushup series last week, it was more of a challenge then I thought it would be. I can do 20 pushups fairly easily so I didn't think doing sets of 20, 15, 18, 15, 20 etc. with a one minute rest in between sets would be all that bad. That last set of 20 though? Shaky arms, for sure.

Not to scare anyone, but I asked my uber-fit trainer if he'd ever done 100 pushups. He said yes, then shook his head at the memory. "My triceps were screaming at me by the end," he said, and I swear I saw him give a small shudder.

Scary... but hope everyone is still with the program. Let us know!

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (8)

Yep, I'm still in. Just completed Day 1 of Week 2 last night (some of us weren't as cool as to be able to start at Week 3!). It's all going very smoothly so far and I have no doubt I can make it through this week, but looking at the numbers for Week 3 worries me a bit. :)

July 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM | Unregistered CommenterNathan

Yea Nathan! Great job. Knowing friends are out there doing the work help keeps me motivated.

July 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM | Unregistered CommenterDena

It's funny you brought this up today bc I was going to email you. Last night as I did my pushups I was screaming at you....WHAT AM I THINKING!!!!!!! I had run Piedmont Trail, came home pretty muddy and tired and I thought "before I get comfy I need to do my pusups"...Well, it was really hard last night. I'm on track with Nathan...Week 2 Day 1 so you would think I could still blow through them....WRONG I struggled though them but did them all. Let's see how Wed goes....I'm going to Ben's bootcamp on Sat so hopefully he will be easy on the pushups. I get enough between your stupid challenge and Marisa!

July 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM | Unregistered CommenterKay

Kay, honey, I'm not feeling the love... ;)

July 21, 2009 at 9:07 AM | Unregistered CommenterDena

is that 100 just once a day? for how many days?

--snicker--

July 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Okay Mr. I'm-so-funny Kim, you just bought yourself an entry into the pushup challenge. In 6 weeks we will meet in a Starbucks, drop and do 100, then gorge ourselves on chocolate.

July 22, 2009 at 7:41 AM | Unregistered CommenterDena

Hint for all the non-athletic bystanders wondering if you can do it: start small. Start VERY small. Because in the initial test to see which column I should start in, I was such a profound underachiever, I had to commit to the first week in the very lowest column of all. Which left me worried about not getting enough of a workout as to actually get me prepared for The Ultimate Goal. Therefore I started the training with two sets of everything: do my tiny little number of push-ups going as far down as I can, keeping my body straight. THEN? Go back and do the whole thing, wimp-style, doing the knees-type push-ups. I mean, how long would it take you to reach 100 Good Form Push-Ups if you only do them on your knees? That's my question, anyway.

Anyway, I pretty much forgot the whole thing on Monday after a nice weekend break, so I started week two yesterday. Feeling the effects in my muscles today. Which is nice, actually.

Funniest AND Hardest moment of all, so far? When 3 year old nephew didn't "get" what we were doing, and jumped up on my back while I did my push-ups. I pushed on through with him up there. Gave myself extra points that day. :)

July 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM | Unregistered CommenterMelody

I'm going to have to start all over from the beginning. I started mine 2 days before we moved and then I broke my computer and have had no internet since. We'll be getting it tomorrow though so I can start back up again. I wish I was on track with everyone else though :(

July 27, 2009 at 1:04 AM | Unregistered CommenterNicole

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):